Sunday, December 2, 2012

Hunting continued.....

On November 20th during the Ohio youth season, I took Elena out for her very first shotgun hunt.  We joined up with another friend and his 12 year old daughter for a very exciting day for both the girls and the dads.  First thing in the morning Elena's friend busted a little spike with 20 gauge pump gun.  They hauled it away leaving Elena and I to continue the morning sit.  After seeing several deer without a good opportunity for a shot I decided to move a climbing tree stand I had in the area and I asked Elena to keep an eye out while I climbed the tree.  About ten feet up, Elena shushed me and I turned and looked and there was a small buck 25 yards away.  She raised her gun and without any assistance from me she put a killing shot on the deer.  It was awesome to witness from my elevated position while she accomplished everything I had tried to teach her all on her own.

Talk about an excited dad and daughter.  Heather and PJ came upto help us out and take pictures.

About a week later, my neighbor came upon a monster while out hunting and brought it down first thing in the morning.


This deer green scored 169 7/8, just under the requirement for the Pope and Young entry.

2 comments: